How protesters are set for Ireland's parliament over Yves Sakila's 'disturbing' death

6 hours ago 6

4 hours ago

Gabija GataveckaiteDublin correspondent, BBC News NI

Social media A man looks into the camera with a neutral expression. His name is Yves Sakila, originally from the DR Congo. He is outside on a street, in the background terraced houses can be seen along with a cloudy sky. He is wearing a black coat and has white wired earphones in his ears. Social media

Yves Sakila died after an alleged shoplifting incident, with a video circulating online being described as "very disturbing"

Protestors will gather in Dublin later on Thursday to once again highlight the death of Yves Sakila.

Last week the 35-year-old was detained by a number of security guards over an alleged shoplifting incident. The Congolese man died not long after in hospital.

Footage of the incident, circulating on social media, has been described by the Irish Network Against Racism (INAR) as "very disturbing" while Irish police are investigating what happened.

Taoiseach (Irish PM) Micheál Martin, and other political leaders, have called for a full investigation, while Ireland's Special Rapporteur on Racism and Racial Equality said that investigation must be "independent and transparent".

On Tuesday dozens of people singing songs and chanting prayers held a vigil for Sakila outside the shop on Henry Street, and a further protest will be held outside the Irish parliament on Thursday.

PA Media A flower memorial on a lamppost. A sign that says 'black lives matter here too' is at the front.PA Media

The Congolese community held a vigil on Henry Street on Tuesday afternoon

What happened to Yves Sakila?

Gardaí (Irish police) say they were alerted to an incident after security personnel detained Sakila on Henry Street in connection with an alleged shoplifting incident at about 17:00 local time on Friday.

They said a man in his 80s was seriously injured as the suspect attempted the flee the scene. He was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and is still recovering.

Sakila became unresponsive at the scene and was transported by ambulance to the Mater Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

He was born in the Democratic Republic of Congo but grew up in Galway and Dublin.

A video of the incident has been circulating online in which it appears a number of security guards restrained the man face down on the ground.

Gardaí told BBC News NI that investigations into "all circumstances" are continuing and there are "no significant updates".

The incident has also been referred to Fiosrú, Ireland's police ombudsman, for investigation.

INAR said the case "appears" to have "hallmarks of a case of excessive use of force".

"The death of a black man in such circumstances is extremely worrying, and we urge the authorities to thoroughly investigate all of the circumstances leading to this man's death, in order to ensure minority ethnic community confidence in the criminal justice system."

The Special Rapporteur, Dr Ebun Joseph, said the social media footage circulating is causing "significant distress, fear, and outrage across many communities, particularly among Black and minority ethnic communities".

In a letter to An Garda Siochana, the Irish justice minister and Fiosrú - which has been seen by BBC News NI - Joseph said: "The scenes depicted, including the disproportionate and unnecessary level of force used during Mr Sakila's restraint, are deeply disturbing and raise urgent and serious questions which require comprehensive examination."

The incident happened outside Arnotts, one of Dublin's best-known department stores.

A spokesperson for the retailer said "everyone" at the retailer "is deeply saddened" by his death and extended "heartfelt sympathies" to his family, his friends, and the wider Congolese community in Ireland.

"No loss of life should ever be the outcome of a retail security incident," they said, adding it recognises the "deep hurt and concern this tragedy has caused".

The spokesperson said Arnotts is cooperating with police and conducting a "full review" with the security firm that provides security in store.

They added that they cannot make any further public comment while the garda investigations remains active and are "committed" to ensuring that the facts are established.

What has the Congolese community in Ireland said about Yves Sakila?

Walter Kabangu, who is former vice-president of the Congolese Community in Ireland, and went to the same school as Yves Sakila, was among those who attended Tuesday's vigil.

He told BBC Radio Foyle's North West Today programme that it was incredibly difficult to watch the social media footage involving his school friend.

"Mostly shocking, just seeing the images and seeing someone you used to see back in school in your younger days and then seeing them have such a demise.

"It's just a very sad situation that has taken place and something that I find quite regrettable and something that shouldn't have taken place."

He said the death had left him "disappointed and shocked".

"It's such a tragedy that has impacted our community and is something that has been a shock and such a very saddening moment for the Congolese community."

RTÉ reported Laure Zoya saying how videos and witness testimonies have deeply shocked and traumatised the Congolese, African, and black communities in Ireland and internationally.

"Many people are disturbed by the level of force shown during the restraint and are demanding full clarity regarding the circumstances that led to Mr Sakila becoming unresponsive."

Chris Kibiadi, from Dublin, told RTÉ: "It could happen to me, it could happen to you.

"It's not black or white or anybody, do you know what I mean. We need justice for our brother. I keep saying my brother, because I knew him."

What's the political reaction been?

There have been extensive condolences expressed across the political spectrum for Sakila's family.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin (Irish PM) said the case must be thoroughly investigated.

"My deepest sympathies go out to his family, and to the wider Congolese community," he said.

"The situation will have to be thoroughly investigated, and needs to be thoroughly investigated.

"I don't want to prejudice the outcome of that investigation but I think a lot of people are clearly very concerned about what has transpired here."

Irish justice minister Jim O'Callaghan said there must be a "thorough garda investigation".

Social Democrats leader Holly Cairns called the social media video "deeply concerning" and said there must be a "full and comprehensive investigation into what happened".

Read Entire Article
Sehat Sejahterah| ESPN | | |